Sunday, September 8, 2019

Bob Dylan in Brazil



No, Bob Dylan has never visited or toured Brazil. This post is about Dylan's influence on the Brazilian charts and elsewhere.

I remember the first time I heard about The Beatles; it was in September 1964, when a neighbour showed me a newspaper with some photos of the Fab-4 wearing their mop-top hair.

But I don't recall the 1st time I ever heard about Bob Dylan. It must have been mid-1965, leafing through some weekly illustrated magazine, I suppose. It was all about long hair too. Dylan's hair was more outrageous than The Beatles'.

But I was definitely taken aback by 'Like a rolling stone' when I first heard it on the radio. Even though I didn't understand a word of English I knew I had to buy that record. The inflection of that rendition was too dramatic to be forgotten. I was hooked on the spot, went out and bought the single. The flip-side was a big let-down but who needed a B-side when the A-side ran 4-minutes long?

Freewheeling Bob Dylan & Suze Rotolo in 1963. It was never released in Brazil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment