Sunday, July 20, 2014

foreign-hit singles (and albums) I used to own

Otis Redding's 'Fa fa fa fa fa (Sad song)' was B-side to 'Sittin' on the dock of the Bay', his greatest hit ever.
Trini Lopez was a big hit in Brazil circa 1964 and 1965. 'Michael' and 'Perfidia' went to #1 in the singles' chart for many weeks. Odeon released 'Sinner not a saint' as an E.P. (extended-play) and it had a good air-play. Later on, an independent label released Trini Lopez earlier records in an album and I could finally listen to this particular recording, which is really good with a lot of fiddles in the back ground.

SINNER NOT A SAINT

Hey, little girl, I'll tell you true
I'm as mean as a cobra thru and thru
don't care to be called what I ain't, I confess I'm a sinner, not a saint
hey, hey, hey little girl, don't you mess around with me, 'cause
I'm just a sinner not a saint.

I collect little girls like some do stamps
when it comes to breaking hearts, man, I'm the champ!
just like a spider lures a fly, if you fall into my web, you're gonna cry
hey, hey, hey little girl, don't you mess around with me, 'cause
I'm just a sinner not a saint

Oh yea, I'm a sinner, in my book that's a winner
I live by my golden rule
for me there's nothing better, I follow to the letter
that's a:  do unto others for they do it to you

If you come a-knocking at my door
a-don't say that you didn't know the score
don't care to be called what I ain't, I confess I'm a sinner, not a saint
hey, hey, hey little girl, don't you mess around with me, 'cause
I'm just a sinner not a saint.

We used to listen to this Joe Cocker album a lot circa 1969-1970. My favourite track was 'Bye bye blackbird' and 'Do I still figure in your life?'


No comments:

Post a Comment